Faculty interested in OER are encouraged to first discuss their interest with colleagues. You may discover that someone in your department is already using OER and/or has at least investigated some options. OER users are sharers! If you haven't already done so, check the disciplinary OER/ZTC page on this site to see if your department has any information there; even if you don't find anything, check with a colleague or the department chair.
Faculty who are just starting their OER search are at the right place! Use the links in the menu at left to find some great resources to begin. If you would like further guidance, contact Jim Julius, Faculty Director of Online Education. Note that the Academic Senate of MiraCosta College passed a resolution in support of Open Educational Resources in 2016.
Faculty who have identified OER and are now thinking about course redesign as they replace a textbook, are trying to re-create supplemental materials they used to get from a publisher, or otherwise are trying to take significant steps to incorporate OER and ZTC materials into their classes may benefit from instructional design support. Contact Jim Julius, Faculty Director of Online Education, to learn more about options for support.
Upcoming Workshops & Events
- Weds. 1/17 - MiraCosta OER Flex day featuring a large lunch event and afternoon workshops with Nicole Finkbeiner of OpenStax.
- 1/18-19 - ZTC degree participant summit at College of the Canyons
- 1/30 - OLC Collaborate / CSU Affordable Learning Solutions / AB 798 event on textbook affordability at LAX
- 3/5-9 - worldwide Open Education Week
Open Online "Courses" about OER for Faculty
- Adopting Open Educational Resources in the Classroom - comprehensive overview of openness in education, copyright and open license alternatives, and OER tools and resources
Watch this space for information from faculty about their journeys into Open Education.