The Nordson STEM Center Is Open!
The Nordson Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Center is located in the Library on the Oceanside campus. The Nordson STEM Center provides drop-in tutoring and counseling for students in Chemistry, Physics, Math, Biology, Biotechnology, Physical Science and Computer Science courses.
Students are able to study independently or in group study rooms that can be reserved. Many resources are available including faculty office hours, laptops, textbooks, anatomical and molecular models.
Molecule of the Week
Meet a STEM Student
Meet Kylie Necochea, a biology major and honors student in her first year at MiraCosta. Kylie’s interest in neurobiology stemmed from spending years in high school volunteering at a nursing home with elderly suffering from Alzheimer’s. She began studying the effect of nutrition on cognitive function and its role in Alzheimer’s during her volunteer hours, conducting research with the help of those she worked with. While taking Lynne Miller’s primatology class this past spring, Kylie turned her volunteer work into an original research project and presented at the OMNI Research Showcase with Professor Miller as her mentor. Kylie’s research project helped her further investigate her interest in neuroscience and genetics, combining her love of chemistry and biology into an applied science that benefits people. She is eager to present research at future conferences and continue exploring her passion for STEM. In her free time outside of class, Kylie loves reading, surfing, hiking, and other outdoor adventures.
Contact Information, Location, and Hours
P 760.757.2121 x6388
The STEM Center is located downstairs in the MiraCosta Library on the Oceanside campus.
Reserve a Study Room
- M-Th: 8am - 9pm
- Fri: 8am - 3pm
- Sat: 10am - 5pm
- Drop-In Tutoring for STEM courses by Peer Tutors and Instructional Assistants
- Drop-In STEM counseling
- Group study rooms with whiteboards and LED monitors
- Check out of learning aids (anatomy and chemistry models, textbooks, laptops with course related software.
- Independent study
- Faculty office hours held in STEM center
- Online chats with professors
- Student success workshops
- STEM career and seminar talks
- Soft seating area to build community amongst students
- STEM Social Events to meet other students, scientists and professors.